Friday, January 20, 2012

The Beginning

So i have successfully made it to Orvieto, Italy Many things are the same and many things are different here. The town is cliche Italian, and very beautiful. Italian houses and shops line the narrow cobblestone roads, and arched bridges periodically span overhead. The buildings are tall and  it is easy to get lost in the maze of roads. The people are happy when we try using our mediocre Italian, but many switch to English (if they know how) when we stumble on our words.

To back up, the arrival into the Rome airport was suprising. The signs arround the airport are in English often, and for quite a few miles the stores are 'Marriot' 'McDonalds' 'Toyota'. There was also lots of grafitti, a lot in English including the words 'hot boys' a lot. Luckily, as we drove away Italy's rolling hills appeared and picturesque villas dotted our view.

The first impression of Orvieto is magnificent. The Duomo (the large church in the picture), is HUGE...I cannot even describe the scale of this building. When I stand next to the door, I am not even as tall as a third of it! The Duomo is so intricate and beautiful. Very few buildings exist with this much detail and care in America - it is inspiring as an architect to witness this.


The apartment I am staying in is much more than I could have hoped for. The ceilings are beautiful wooden beams and we have a kitchen, control of the heat (something rare here), unlimited hot water and a waterfall shower, wifi, and we are close to many ammenities in town. The windows are so cute, they open out right onto the street so we can see all the hustle and bustle of the cute little Italian town. Think of a squished together town from Beauty and the Beast...that's us!


The market is one of the best parts. Lots of stand fill the piazza and a man walks around filling the space with accordian music. There are all kinds of fresh vegitables, cheeses, and meats as well as clothing, jewlery, and many other goods. "Ciao! Ciao" the people say as they pass one another. I use that word a lot.
Ciao!

Every day, my roomate and I wake up early to watercolor. We figure, with one a day, soon we will be experts! I enjoy experiencing the city as it bustles early in the morning, and I enjoy getting new experience with a skill I am inadequate at. Watercolor, sketching, all of these are relaxing and allow me to see the world around me with a more critical eye. Perhaps it is something you can try too? For me, I am getting much better already. Here is an example of one of my early ones.


During the day we mostly explore the town. It is such a unique experience to walk the cobblestone streets surrounded on either side by old Italian buildings many stories high. Everything here is so beautiful.

Really, the most impressive sight in all the city is the view from the edge of the city wall. Orvieto sits high atop a hill, an only a 3 foot stone wall divides onlookers from the steep stone cliffs leading down below. For miles in the distance, one can see rolling, green, Italian hillsides.

Ok, well there is soooo much more to tell, and I want to show you tons of pictures to illustrate what I am saying, so I think I will just upload pictures with captions to the picture tab of this blog.



Feel free to check those out for an even better feel of Italy!

Ciao!!


No comments:

Post a Comment